What is Colchicine
A diagnosis of gout is often the cause of a complete change in a patient’s lifestyle. This serious disease has long been known to mankind, but continues to be one of the most difficult to diagnose and requires long-term treatment. Fortunately, today medicine can offer gout patients many remedies to alleviate their condition and even completely get rid of the disease. In our article we will talk about one of the most modern drugs used in acute attacks of gout — Colchicine tablets. What is Colchicine?
What is gout
The development of this disease is associated with such a violation of metabolic processes, in which the amount of uric acid salts in the joints, ligaments, bones increases. The kidneys and liver are also affected. Affected areas are inflamed, sore, swollen, which severely limits the life of patients.
Colchicine is a modern drug of rapid action
Colchicine tablets are herbal remedies to help with acute attacks of gout. They affect the process of uric acid metabolism, help reduce its production and eliminate the excess. Colchicine is prescribed during attacks and is also used as a prophylactic during remission of the disease.
Benefits of Colchicine
- Rapid action. The main feature of the tablets is the speed of their action: the maximum concentration of the drug in the blood is reached in 2 hours, bringing patients a noticeable reduction in pain syndrome and reduction of inflammation.
- The drug is natural. The main component of the tablets is extracted from the flameless plant (Colchicum), and the excipients are: corn starch, silicon dioxide, castor oil and others.
- Beneficial for digestion. Colchicum helps to strengthen intestinal motility and markedly improves the digestive system.
- Improves the overall performance of the body. Colchicine tablets increase blood pressure, lower body temperature, thus improving the patient’s well-being.
- It is taken in a short course. Colchicine is usually prescribed for a short time, but in high daily doses. This helps patients not to miss the time of intake and successfully cope with the exacerbation of the disease.
- It is easily absorbed. The tablets have a high rate of absorption in the intestine, the active ingredient quickly reaches the affected areas. At the same time, they do not have a negative effect on the cardiovascular system.
Contraindications to the use of Colchicine
A special advantage of Colchicine tablets is the minimal number of contraindications. The drug is not prescribed to patients on hemodialysis, as well as for:
- Colchicine and lactose intolerance;
- blood dyscrasia;
Administration of the drug should necessarily be carried out under the supervision of a doctor also if the patient has liver and kidney disorders, heart disease, diagnosed respiratory failure, bone marrow dysfunction.